This story was written by Ines and Rocío.
A Family Crime
It was a summer day. Peter was telling a story to his grandchildren, a true story.
- Little ones, come here. I want to tell you the story that changed my life forever.
- Really? – said George
- Why did it change your life? – asked Julia
You will know when I finish telling it. Let’s time travel to the 70’s. Those days I was a young man and I was only 23 years old. I was tall. I had brown hair and I was very handsome. I was living in an apartment in Boston and I was working as a detective with the police. One day, I went to Rickie’s, my favorite bar, with my best friends, Mike and Ashley. I usually ordered a gin and tonic, my everyday routine, but that day was different. The walkie talkie went off. It was my workmate, Richard. He told me that an accident had happened and that I had to go immediately. I took that car and I went as fast as I could. The street I had to go to was rich. I got there and Richard was waiting for me to arrive.
- There’s been a death. It’s an old lady.
I got into a big mansion and I saw the body of the woman. She had no blood on her body so it seemed it wasn’t a murder.
- Take the body – Richard said.
I went to talk to the housekeeper. She was the one who had found the woman.
- Peter Montgomery, from the police – I said to the woman.
- Hello, I am Amanda Martin, the housekeeper.
- Yeah, I know. I am sorry to bother you but I have to ask you a couple of questions.
- No, it’s OK.
- OK, well, what time did you find the body?
- AT 11:00 P.M.
- Did you hear any screaming or weird noises?
- I just heard a noise when Margarita fell. I had just given her the dinner and I went to the kitchen to wash the dishes when it happened.
The criminologist took the body to the laboratory.
- Come with me – I said to Amanda Martin. – I have to ask you some questions in the police station.
Richard and I interrogated her and she seemed to be innocent. She gave us two more suspects: Roberto and Anna. Roberto, a very handsome man who was having an affair with Margarita, was young and Margarita was in love with him. But Roberto only wanted her money. Amanda had warned Margarita about this. Even though she warned her, Margarita had put him in her will. This was the perfect way to make money. Anna was Margarita’s friend. Anna had taken advantage of her and she wanted to have part of the inheritance too.
- You should go to the lover’s house. I will go to Anna’s house. – Richard said.
- Let’s meet here at 10:00 and we can interrogate both of them.
I went to Roberto’s house and I pressed the buzzer. No one answered. I kicked the door down. When I got into his house, no one was there. I found a plan itinerary to Cuba on his computer screen. Only an hour had passed since he had booked the flight, according to his search history. My mates and I went as fast as we could to the airport. Roberto was about to get onto the plane when we arrested him. Then we went to the police station. It was 1:00 a.m. We were late.
- He tried to flee. – I said to Richard.
- Wow, Anna seems innocent. She has an alibi. She was in her house with her husband. He was verified her alibi.
- They could be working together.
- I know.
We entered the interrogation room.
- You wanted to escape, huh? – I said.
- With all the money? – asked Richard.
We searched him. And we found money but it wasn’t all the money that was missing.
- You have to believe me. I didn’t do anything.
- And why were you going to get on a plane to Cuba?
- I just wanted to take out the money and go to Cuba to come back with my family.
- For now you will stay here and then we will see what we will do with you.
We decided to go back to Margarita’s house to look for more information. When we got there we saw the shadow of a woman.
- Come out with your hands on your head! We are the police! – I shouted.
A young girl came out. She was tall, with blonde hair and pretty eyes. She seemed to be about 25.
- I didn’t do anything. – the girl shouted.
We went into the room where she had been. There was a lot of money on the floor and a safe opened. She was not the main suspect.
- I was just organizing this. Someone had tried to take the money.
- Okay, but still you have to come with us. – Richard said.
We arrived at the police station and we started to interrogate her.
- Who are you? – I asked.
- I’m Sonia, Margarita’s niece.
- What were you doing in the house?
- I was going to pick up some things that are very important to me. I love her so much.
- What things, huh? Money for example? – Richard asked.
- No! I would never do that to my aunt! – She said nervously.
- So, tell us. What things? – I asked.
Suddenly someone knocked on the door. It was the criminologist.
- Peter come out, please – she said.
- What’s going on?
- I have brought someone that might interest you. These fingerprints are from the lady over there.
- Uh huh. Thank you Ashley.
I entered the room.
- Sonia Vanderwall, you are under arrest for the murder of Margarita Vanderwall. Whatever you say can be used against you in a court of law.
While I was saying this Sonia started to cry. But I didn’t care. She had killed her aunt for money.
- Tell the boss that the lover is innocent. – I told Richard.
- Okay, you know what? I’ll tell you why I killed my aunt. She was a mean person. She took all the family money without sharing with her sisters. That money belonged to us. – said Sonia.
We went to trial but she had hired the best lawyers and she won. She deserved to die.
- So guys, this changed my life because this was the first case I ever solved. After this one I solved many more and that’s how I became the police chief.